The NWP SAF is a EUMETSAT-funded activity that exists to
co-ordinate research and development efforts among the SAF
partners to improve the interface between satellite data and NWP
for the benefit of EUMETSAT member states. The NWP SAF is led by
the Met Office, with partners ECMWF, KNMI and
about the aims of the NWP SAF.
SAF overview from EUMETSAT's IMAGE newsletter (PDF file)
NWP SAF deliverables
NWP SAF news
- AAPP update 7.8 has been released. This includes tools for converting AAPP binary files to HDF5 format, which was a request from the ITSC-19 conference Direct Broadcast Technical Subgroup. More information is available on the AAPP pages. 08 Dec 2014.
- Radiance Simulator 1.0 has been released.
This new NWPSAF deliverable is designed to provide a flexible interface to NWP model fields in order to enable the generation of
simulated observations for all instruments supported by RTTOV in a straightforward way.
The Radiance Simulator is designed to work specifically with datasets from NWP models,
either analysis fields or short-range forecasts.
See the Radiance Simulator web pages for more details. 17 Nov 2014.
- RTM - A new ECMWF diverse profiles dataset has been released.
The profiles are specified on a 137-level grid extending from surface up to 0.01 hPa.
The database is divided in to five subsets focussing on diverse sampling of temperature, specific humidity, ozone mixing ratio, cloud condensates and precipitation.
The dataset is available on the RT modelling pages. 17 Nov 2014.
- Scatterometry - Two new technical reports have been released pertaining to the 'Estimation of background error correlation function' and 'The orientation of SeaWinds wind vector cells'. 06 November 2014.
- SDP version 2.2 has been released. Compared to the previous version 2.1, the new version includes improvements in the Quality Control and improvement of the wind retrieval at low wind speeds. It uses the NSCAT-4 Geophysical Model Function for reduced wind speed bias at high wind speeds. SDP v2.2 is being used to create the climate data record for QuikSCAT in the OSI SAF. 02 October 2014.
Further news items can be seen on the NWP SAF News page
A visiting scientist programme allows scientists from institutions that are not SAF members to participate in
the activities of the SAF. More about visiting scientists
Most documents on this web site are available in PDF format. To view these documents you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.
You can download this viewer free from Adobe's web site.